Saturday, May 21, 2011

When to "Tú" and When to "Usted"


English speakers have some difficulties with the difference between and Usted. They have every right to have difficulties with them. We only use the one word “You” in English. So it becomes a challenge to think of when you should use them. Let me help make it easier for all of you.

Usted, or commonly abbreviated as Vd., is used in the formal sense. For example, I am walking down the street and a man is passing by me. I might ask him how he is doing today. Of course, I would say “You,” but use the formal Usted. The most common way to distinguish when to use it is for people you do not know or have a very brief introduction.

Another aspect is age. Yes, age plays a factor in a lot of things in life and when to use Tú and Usted is one of those times. If I am a young person and I am speaking to an adult I do not know very well or an adult outside my own family, I would use the Usted form. This is simply to show respect.

On the flip side, if I am an adult and I speak to a young person, I would only use the form. As an adult, you can request people to start using the form when talking directly with you. It’s called tutear. It’s a way to break past all of the formalities. Now family members, close friends, co-workers, peers, close neighbors all use the form with each other. For family members, the age factor does fall into play with members outside your immediate family circle. With everyone else, people will use the Usted form.

My recommendation for all new Spanish language learners, use the Usted form with people you do not know out of respect, unless the person is younger than you, a close friend or family member. All other people, stick with the Usted form until the other person tutearle (requests you to use the form with them).

I hope this little explanation helps clarify this distinction better for you.  ¡Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment