Friday, March 28, 2014

I'm BAAAaaack!


Spain was an incredible trip and a place I was so happy to have had the privilege to visit. That's me standing next to the Don Quixote and Sancho Panza tribute statue for Miguel de Cervantes in Madrid in the center photo. All of the photos in this collage were taken by me during my trip with the exception of that one. I spent a few days in Sevilla, one day in Toledo, and a few more days in Madrid.

I've compiled some travel observations from this trip:


  1. Vale (pronounced Bah-lay) means "okay." I heard it everywhere. People added it to the ends of sentences, beginnings of sentences, as one word answers or responses.
  2. Tipping: Unlike here in the United States where tipping 10%, 15%, 20% or more is normal and expected in most service situations, that is not the case in Spain. When tipping, I gave very little and rarely. It wasn't because I was stingy or frugal. Service workers earn a decent wage unlike many doing the same work in the U.S. Tips are just not necessary.
  3. La cuenta (pronounced lah kwen-ta) means "the bill." After eating in restaurants, you must ask for the bill or you will never see one. To test this theory, after the service was over and I declined dessert and additional beverages, I waited and continued chatting. This went on for a good 15 minutes or so and no bill arrived. It wasn't until I physically got my waiter's attention and asked for la cuenta did I receive one.
  4. El tiempo (pronounced ehl tee-ehm-poh) is "the weather." March was the perfect time of year to visit Spain if you wish to sight see. The mornings were brisk in the low to mid 60's warming up to 70's by noon. I easily handled a sweatshirt leaving the hotel and either wrapped it around me or stuffed it inside a day bag when it got too warm. It did not rain one bit, but it would have been fine since my sweatshirt had a hood stitched to it.
  5. Having cooler temperatures made sightseeing religious locations such as Gothic cathedrals and churches easier because I was able to wear jeans and either my sweatshirt or collared shirt to show respect for the place.
  6. Vino tinto (pronounced beano teen-to) which means "red wine" actually cost less than ordering a glass of soda in most places. One restaurant charged .60€ (Euros) less for my glass of wine than for a soda.
  7. Soda will come in a bottle/can or fresh from a tap (if it is a more modern restaurant) with a glass containing some ice. Diet soda is called (name of the soda) + light. Below is a picture of a Diet Coke can from Spain. If you want a regular soda, just call it by the (name of the soda) + regular (or "normal"). Regular is pronounced ray-goo-lahr and normal is pronounced nor-mahl. Either word may be used interchangeably.
  8. Tickets may be worded differently depending upon the location and attraction. Some exhibits called tickets to get in taquillas (pronouned tah-key-yahs) while other more larger exhibits called them billetes (pronouned bee-yeah-teahs). Always check for signs to know which word to use.
  9. La siesta (pronouned lah see-ay-sta) means "the nap" or "the nap time." Despite a lot of the guidebooks claiming mass shut downs during a 2-3 hour period in the afternoons, I really did not find this to be an issue on my trip. I still found plenty of stores, restaurants and museums open throughout the afternoon and into the evening to meet any need that I had. Perhaps if you are traveling more off the beaten path, you may run into this situation.
  10. The people were so kind and willing to chat there. Whether I sat in a plaza, stood in line or having lunch or dinner, Spaniards were most kind and took the time to chat a bit with me. I remember waiting to place an order at a dessert/pastry shop and while a couple of older ladies were waiting for their order to be fulfilled, we had a wonderful conversation about how many years they had visited that very shop together as friends. It's an incredible way to improve your Spanish on the spot. I tried not to miss an opportunity to use my Spanish. You shouldn't either!
I hope my observations above help you as you plan your trip to Spain. If you have visited Spain, why not share some of your observations, tips or helpful hints in the comment section below?

¡Hasta luego!
~Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment